According to Wikipedia, a Digital Librarie is alibrary in which collections are stored in digital formats (as opposed to print,microform, or other media) and accessible by computers.The digital content may be stored locally, or accessed remotely via computer networks. A digital library is a type of information retrieval system.
Most digital libraries provide a search interface which allows resources to be found. These resources are typically deep web (or invisible web) resources since they frequently cannot be located by search engine crawlers. Some digital libraries create special pages or sitemaps to allow search engines to find all their resources. Digital libraries frequently use the Open Archives Initiative Protocol for Metadata Harvesting (OAI-PMH) to expose their metadata to other digital libraries, and search engines like Google Scholar, Yahoo! and Scirus can also use OAI-PMH to find these deep web resources.
- No physical boundary.The user of a digital library need not to go to the library physically; people from all over the world can gain access to the same information, as long as an Internet connection is available.
- Round the clock availability. A major advantage of digital libraries is that people can gain access to the information at any time, night or day.
- Multiple access. The same resources can be used simultaneously by a number of institutions and patrons
- Information retrieval. The user is able to use any search term (word, phrase, title, name, subject) to search the entire collection
- Preservation and conservation. Digitization is not a long-term preservation solution for physical collections, but does succeed in providing access copies for materials that would otherwise fall to degradation from repeated use.
The digital library of the Caribbean:
The Digital Library of the Caribbean (dLOC) is a cooperative digital library for resources from and about the Caribbean and circum-Caribbean. dLOC provides access to digitized versions of Caribbean cultural, historical and research materials currently held in archives, libraries, and private collections.
The library (dLOC) has been funded thanks to a generous grant from the United States of Education’s Technological Innovation and Cooperation for foreign Information Acces Program.
The digital library of India
- Digital Library, Wikipedia The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved: 11 October 2009, 8:16 from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_library
- The Digital Library of The Caribbean (dLOC). Retrieved: 11October 2010 8:16. From: http://www.dloc.com/
- The Digital Library of India. Retrieved: 11 October 2009 8:16 From: http://dli.iiit.ac.in/